Blogs > Northern Ohio Local Politics

Politics is big in these parts, and we’ve got it covered. John Arthur Hutchison and other staff writers will offer their inside information on the events, big news and little moments of the local political scene in Lake, Geauga and eastern Cuyahoga counties.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tis the season

Mentor Ward 4 candidate Erik Bednarcik is learning about the joys of campaign season when it comes to placing yard signs. On Tuesday, the 19-year-old filed a police report after his signs were removed from three properties twice.
A witness reported seeing an older, white man taking the second set of signs. Bednarcik later learned that the owner of the development took out the signs, even though the tenants granted permission for the sign placement.

"I suppose tenants are no longer allowed to access the first amendment," Bednarcik said.

Welcome to politics.
-- Betsy Scott, BScott@News-Herald.com

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw them being removed in the morning at 8:40 am by the same individual. We need to ask if the 30+ signs on these same properties were personally approved by developer or just by the tenants. That would prove specific bias.

October 6, 2010 at 12:17 PM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Erik very much and am a republican, but I think he's missing the right of property owners. Remember that both free speech and the right to own property are in the constitution. If I own the property, I get to determine what it is used for, what is placed in it, etc. I don't like government interfering with property I own anymore than I like them to infringe upon my free speech. I think a developer that owns the land has more than enough right to remove signs they may dislike. People who live in certain subdivisions or housing communities have to follow rules on what color their house should be, what their lawn looks like, etc. Although I would never live in those places, they signed a contract allowing the housing group to make those determinations. I will vote for Erik, but the people who own the land should determine what they want up on it. If they don't, that sets a very dangerous precedent.

October 7, 2010 at 8:23 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's too bad that the developer doesn't have enough respect for their tenants to allow them their freedom of political expression. Too bad the developers name wasn't posted, I think we would have liked to know who is against our Constitution.

October 7, 2010 at 11:39 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home