Blogs > Northern Ohio Local Politics

Politics is big in these parts, and we’ve got it covered. John Arthur Hutchison and other staff writers will offer their inside information on the events, big news and little moments of the local political scene in Lake, Geauga and eastern Cuyahoga counties.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

What will really matter most come Wednesday



Come Wednesday we’ll either have kept the current president or else we will have chosen a new one.

It’s really that simple.

And the only ones who’ll have the right to feel a funk will be Mr. Obama and his family or else Mr. Romney and his family.

The rest of us – or about one-half the electorate, anyway – can express disappointment but it ought not to grow beyond that altitude. And that feeling ought to live for only a moment, too.

What we will know is that in Cleveland the sun will rise at 7:06 a.m. and set at 5:14 P.M.

Beyond that, what is genuinely important rests elsewhere.

Come Wednesday an elated young couple somewhere will hear the blessed news that within several months they will become first-time parents. Maybe even after they’ve been told that for some biological reason they’d never be able to conceive or sire a child.

That’s what happened with my wife, Bev, and me. And to our friends, Tommy and Esther as well.

Then again, come Wednesday, a man or a woman will meet with his or her physician and be given the mind- and soul-numbing news that the cancer is terminal; inoperable or untreatable.

He – or she – will walk out the doctor’s office, sit in a car, and let it sink in that this Christmas will be his or her last.

Just like the happy couple, this person has earned the right to possess and express the sort of emotion that even Mr. Obama or Mr. Romney are not entitled to own.

As for the rest of us, Wednesday will come like any other ordinary day.

I will take some time shortly before rising and listen for Bev to hum a refrain from a hymn she has committed to memory.

Then I will roll out of bed, shave and try to put on my clothes, bushwhacked by my two Labrador retrievers, Berry and Millie. They will worm their way onto my lap, slowing the dressing process.

I will stroke their soft, coal-black coats and then send them on their way.
After dressing I will sit in my recliner, prepared (more or less) to do my devotions.

By then Bev will have finished getting ready for her own job as the Mentor School’s receptionist.

She’ll plant a kiss, maybe only to the top of my nearly bald head, and recite – as she always does – “have a wonderful day,” knowing that perhaps the day’s newsroom pace will almost certainly exclude anything wonderful.

A couple of hours later I’ll repeat my own ritual in kind. I will call her at the Mentor School’s board office and offer in as best-as-I-can imitation of a stressed-out teenager “Is there school today?” to which Bev will respond: “Yes, and you better hurry or you’ll be late.”

Of course the exchange is lame and we each know the others lines by heart. 

It matters not, certainly not in the grand scheme of our 40-plus years together.

As for Election Day, I will have gone through a CAT Scan and an X-ray or two before conferring with my urologist.

We’ll look at the data, studying to see if the 70 or so radioactive titanium pellets are doing their job properly in killing off the two cancerous tumors that were found back in May and residing in my prostate.

I’ll think on these things come Wednesday morning when the news shows and the political pundits are all in overdrive, engrossed with what they 
consider of earth-shattering significance.

Tell that to the happy couple. Tell that to the cancer patient just given his or her death notice.

Tell me come Wednesday, too.

Better yet, ask my five grandchildren on Wednesday if the selection of the president is more important than hamming it up in front of the computer camera as we Skype our “hellos,” electronically bridging in a nanosecond the 250-mile gap between us.

My best guess is that Grace, Hope, Nehemiah, Elijah, and Humility will have a much different take. And it won’t include the name of either Mr. Obama or Mr. Romney.

Yes, of course, I reposted my share of pro-Romney Facebook chants and dug sarcastic claws into those who championed Mr. Obama.

Truth be told, they were supplied only half in seriousness. Probably less; again, if truth be told.

So to my liberal friends whom I did my best to skewer – David and Steve, Laura and Donna, Mary Jo and even my own flesh-and-blood nephew, Michael -  sorry if you took me so seriously.

But I rather enjoyed playing the part of prankster Puck, who, in Shakespeare’s “Midsummer Night’s Dream,” said; “Lord, what fools these mortals be.” (If you want to be specific as to chapter and verse, Puck’s words are found in Act 3, scene 2.)

No, give me the opportunity to lie in bed and watch my wife sleep the sleep of a newborn, the chance to chat with my grandchildren, have one of my oh-so-many physicians generate a medical thumbs-up, or be greeted with a “good job” electronic message from a boss.

For that matter, a Wednesday sky of honking Canada geese, a woodlot ground blind from which I can observe a rut-crazed buck, or to hear the notes of a boss hen wild turkey giving the pre-sunrise instructions to her troupe would be fine, too.

Fact is, when it comes right down to it who wins on Tuesday doesn’t even make the list as to what is truly important come Wednesday.

- Jeffrey L. Frischkorn
JFrischkorn@News-Herald.com
Twitter: @Fieldkorn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home